Sample speech: Sweet and loving
A wedding speech for the groom to adapt, for when you want to be brief but touching...
As Jane Austen, or was it Bridget Jones, said ‘It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a good wife.’
Now much as I like to think I am Mr D’Arcy, and that only bouncing a few cheques to the florist for today establishes me as a man of good fortune, my real good fortune in life is undoubtedly meeting, and marrying my wife, Chloe.
She certainly, as somebody else said, has a price beyond rubies, and I’d like to thank my new father-in-law for his kind words and his making me the richest man in the world by letting me marry her.
You have all helped make today the happiest day of our lives by being here with us and being kind enough to bring gifts. I never knew that toasters came in so many varieties! Seriously, the greatest gift to us is your being here, and I hope that you enjoy the day half as much as we are.
My wife (I love saying that!) would not be the person she is without the love and support of her parents, and I want to thank them for helping her to be her and for welcoming me into their family. As my new mother-in-law said, she is not losing a daughter but gaining a washer-upper. While not quite so useful, I hope that she will accept this small gift as a sign of how much I appreciate her love and support, especially through the nerve-wracking preparations for the wedding.
All that hard work was worth it. Sarah looks even more beautiful than she does normally, and I hope that I will be everything she could ever hope for in a husband. If there is one thing I have learnt from her, it is patience, and today was worth all the waiting.
Sarah, I just want to say, in front of our families and dearest friends, that I love you and hope that every day will be as happy as today -- just not as expensive.
Not only did Bob, my old roommate from Uni days and the best man I know, get me to the church on time but he also didn’t lose the ring. I’m grateful for everything that he’s done for me and look forward to retuning the compliment -- as soon as possible.
Lastly, I would like to thank the pack of bridesmaids, who have been such goods friends throughout all the preparations. In particular, I would like to thank Vikki, the chief bridesmaid, who has been there every step of the way, from the wedding dress shop to the hairdressers, offering advice and support. Please accept these flowers in thanks for everything you’ve done.
Ladies and gentlemen, please be upstanding. I give you...the bridesmaids.
General Sample Wedding Speeches
- How to make the perfect wedding speech
- Sample speech: For when you’re standing in for the best man
- Speech material: He’s a couch potato
- Speech material: He’s mad about…
- Speech material: My brother or son
- Speech material: He’s going places
- Speech material: He’s not squeaky clean
- Speech material: When he was a kid
- Speech material: Keeping expectations in check
- Speech material: Send us a postcard
- Speech material: Short and snappy
- Speech material: Heartfelt and funny
- Speech material: Just a quickie
- Speech material: Mr and Mrs right
- Speech material: Advice for the honeymoon
- Speech material: On my honeymoon…
- Speech material: Great team
- Speech material: How they’ve changed each other…
- Speech material: I wouldn’t say they’re romantic but…
- Speech material: No stopping them now…
- Speech material: Not a bed of roses
- Speech material: They’ve known each other since…
- Sample material: romantic moments
- Sample speech IV: The appraisal
- Sample speech VI: The political agenda
- Speech material: To those who couldn’t be here
- Sample speech II: Re-working the reading
- Sample speech VII: – A day in the life of…
- Sample speech III: The Two Ronnies
- Sample speech VIII: Emails
- Sample Speeches: For the bride
- Sample speech V: Reality TV interview
- Sample speech: A touch of humour
- Sample material: To get you started
- Sample speech: Brief and witty
- Sample material: Honouring a deceased relative
- Sample speech: Short and sweet
- Sample speech: Straight and sentimental
- Short, stand-alone toasts
- Sample material: Stag night consequences
- Sample Speeches: Telegrams
- Speech material: Coming together
- Speech material: Great mums!
- Speech material: Heartfelt thanks
- Sample speech I: Sticking with tradition
- Speech material: Now we’re one big family
- Speech material: To the mums and dads
- Fabulous jokes for a wedding speech
(from the letter A - M)
- Sample material: Famous declarations of love
- Sample material: Old-fashioned declarations of love
- Sample material: Poetic declarations of love
- Sample material: Romantic declarations of love
- Sample material: Declarations with a difference
- Sample speech: People we miss
- Sample material: In days gone by…
- Sample material: Communication is the key
- Sample material: Marriage is like…
- Sample material: When the chips are down…
- Sample material: My secret is…
- Sample speech material: Great nickable lines
- Sample speeches: Second marriages
- Sample material: to include children from a previous marriage
- Sample speech: Personal and humorous
- Speech material: She wears the trousers
- Speech material: She’s expecting!
- Speech material: About the bride
- Speech material: She’s a great mum
- Speech material: She’s one in a million
- Speech material: She’s daddy’s girl