Go totally over the top in the capital of kitsch
In a nutshell...
If it's kitsch glamour and excess you're after, look no further than the lights of Las Vegas. This oasis of decadence is home to 19 of the 20 biggest hotels in the world and, of course, endless casinos.
If you are unwed when you arrive there's a good chance you'll get hitched before you leave, for here is a place that caters to every possible nuptial whim. The local Yellow Pages guide has 14 pages of wedding possibilities, ranging from The Little White Chapel, where you'll be following in the footsteps of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, and Jack and Vera Duckworth, through to marriage in a hot-air balloon, or the highly functional 24-hour drive-thru wedding window (get married without leaving your car!). And with 120,000 hotel rooms available, there'll be no shortage of places to stay for any wedding guests either.
- New York, New York hotel This Manhattan lookalike comes with its own 150ft replica of the Statue of Liberty, and another of the Empire State building. The Manhattan Express Rollercoaster runs through the skyscraper complex and is one of the best in town.
- Luxor Hotel A glass life-sized pyramid dominates this hotel shaped like a 20-storey sphinx.
- Liberace Museum This must-see shrine to the bejewelled entertainer contains his furniture, costumes, jewellery, autos and pictures, not to mention the world's largest rhinestone!
- King Tut's Tomb and Museum Inside the Luxor hotel this is a full-size replica of Tutankhamen's burial chamber and golden throne. You can even take a simulated tour round the archaeological dig, Raiders of the Lost Ark-style.
- Bellagio Take a wander around this hotel's nine-acre lake. You'll have ol'blue eyes himself belting out over the PA system, and a display of baroque fountains that would reduce Liberace to tears.
- Limousine ride Limousines are a common site down the strip, but with a bottle of champagne for two all those glittering lights make this a great romantic moment.
Love bites and love potions
There is fierce competition for your holiday dollars here in Vegas, which means you'll never have to pay more than a fiver to eat plenty, often from an all-you-can-eat buffet. It's possible to find every cuisine known to mankind here, from burgers to kosher to Vietnamese, and there are over 800 restaurants to do it in. The Golden Gate Diner on the Strip is the home of the shrimp cocktail, served in the classic tulip glass.
For a romantic setting, try Manhattan of Las Vegas, which has a candle-lit sunken dining room, chandeliers and a stained glass ceiling. Picasso in the Bellagio hotel, meanwhile, boasts original paintings and ceramics by the master himself. And while you're here, why not pop into local boy Andre Agassi's All-Star café for a drink?
- Romantic Travel Planner: find the perfect place
- 20 romantic city breaks in Europe
- Ideas for a romantic getaway
- Quick guide to Amsterdam
- Quick guide to Barcelona
- Quick guide to the Cote d’Azur
- Quick guide to Dublin
- Quick guide to Gretna Green
- Quick guide to Ibiza
- The Maldives
- Quick guide to Milan
- New York