FREE shipping on orders over £59

Ask Kate: Passport dilema!

August 8, 2012

Kate Thompson has been offering heart-felt advice and sparklingly different wedding inspiration for ten years. She is married with two children, and often features in the national press. With her warm and caring nature and off-beat sense of humour, she'll answer every question with knowledgable insight and understanding to help and inspire or simply restore your peace of mind.


I am flying home (within UK) to get married, then flying off on honeymoon. I am totally confused about passports.

If I want to arrive on honeymoon as a ‘Mrs’ then I have to change my name, therefore I have to change my passport, meaning I will have no ID to fly with before I get married. BA are being extremely unhelpful!



You need to change your name officially when you come back from your honeymoon as you will need your marriage certificate to change your name on your passport and this can take some time. Once you sign the marriage register you automatically become Mrs. ………….. but are still legally allowed to use your maiden name (which is why some women keep their maiden names and do not change their names at all.) You should book your tickets in your maiden name and then go about changing your name officially with the passport office, your driver’s license and banks etc. when you come back.  You can find out more about how to change your name here:

Hope this helps and that you have a wonderful wedding.

Kate x

Get social and share this article!