FREE shipping on orders over £59

Ask Kate: Second marriage issues for foreign nationals

September 28, 2012

Kate Thompson has been offering heart-felt advice and sparklingly different wedding inspiration for ten years. She is married with two children, and often features in the national press. With her warm and caring nature and off-beat sense of humour, she'll answer every question with knowledgable insight and understanding to help and inspire or simply restore your peace of mind.


I am from Scotland and divorced with my Extract Decree of Divorce and my intended is Moroccan who is also divorced and both of us live in the UAE. We are looking to have a simple civil wedding but everywhere we look seems to either be problamatical for one or the other of us and I was wondering if you could advise me of where is the best place for us to get married?


In the UK your fiance will be subject to immigration control yet as you are both free to remarry, I see no reason why you could not arrange a civil wedding in either England or a civil ceremony in Scotland where your fiance will need an entry clearance. Notice to marry in Scotland can be given by post, so you will not normally have to attend in person. After you have given notice to marry, you will have to wait 14 full days before your wedding can take place.

You’ll find more legal information  at The Foreign and Commonwealth Office and they will be able to help you complete documents too. I think it’s worth getting up-to-date legal advice on this too from

Get social and share this article!