A woman’s hair, sleek and silky or tousled and curly, is her crowning glory. Make the most of your hair on your wedding day by ensuring it’s looking soft, shiny…
Written by Agnes Los Last updated: May 5, 2011
We’ve pulled together some tips from insiders in-the-know to help brides everywhere look radiant on their special day.
Image courtesy of Mariam Jensen
Radiance starts with skincare, so ensure that those sleepless nights worrying about table plans don’t take their toll on your looks. Hydration is the key to that must-have glow so we asked celebrity makeup artist and skincare expert Mariam Jensen for her hero product for blushing brides.
Mariam says: “Deep dermal hydration is the key to a brighter and more radiant-looking appearance, so I would recommend that brides begin using a high performance product like Dr LeWinn’s Triple Action Day Defence six weeks before the wedding. This formula is pumped full with protective caviar and blackcurrant extracts and is different to a standard moisturiser, as the molecules are small enough to deliver high doses of hydration directly down into the skin’s deepest structural layer. Moisture at this level means fine lines are plumped out and soft, glowing new skin emerges. The key ingredient in this genius product is Aldenine, which boosts collagen by 300% – amazing!”
The most important part of a bride’s beauty look is a perfect base. Brides face the same scenarios that filmmakers and TV production teams face – the need for a flawless, photo-ready finish that lasts under all conditions – from hot lights to strong flash photography and mountains of Kleenex. We asked celebrity makeup artist Moiya Saint (whose client list has included Victoria Beckham, Elle MacPherson and Anna Friel) for her top tips for brides:
“My holy grail solution to flawless foundation is Airbase Airbrush Makeup. Airbrushing has been used in TV for some time now as it is heatproof and waterproof, delivering tiny particles of flexible foundation from an handy applicator, leaving a fine immaculate second skin that neither tears, rain or shine can spoil. Airbase is particularly good for brides as the silicon based formula means that the base looks perfectly natural and genuinely needs no touch-ups all day and all night. The formula is so fine and weightless that it is perfect for any skin, from fresh faced youths to the mother of the bride. I use it on all my clients safe in the confidence that it will never let me down!”
Image courtesy of Mariam Jensen
Kerry Capewell, Hair Colour Expert for the UK Hair Colour Helpline (0845 601 8129) has this advice for brides in the lead up to the big day:
• Try and keep hair as natural as possible – maybe using low lighting/highlighting techniques, in two shades either lighter or darker than your natural shade, as this creates a more subtle change of colour. Remember, you want to be pleased with your wedding photos for the rest of your life – fashionable shades may look great now but perhaps not in 20 years!
• If changing your hair colour permanently is a little scary then opt for non-permanent such as Naturtint Reflex available at Holland & Barrett - you may want to try this 4 weeks before your wedding to ensure you have the perfect shade for the big day.
• A month or even 6 weeks before the big day, do a full trial run of your wedding style, including your headdress and any other accessories you plan to wear. If you complete the trial run in a morning, try wearing the style for the rest of the day to see how comfortable it is and how it lasts throughout the day. You can also use this time to ensure you have planned the timings of your big day correctly to allow enough time for styling and finishing.
• Two weeks before the day get your hair trimmed and carry out a conditioning treatment – wash with Naturtint Shampoo to moisturize and strengthen and follow with Nutrideep Multiplier, which you can apply to the hair and then wrap in a warm towel, leaving for 5-10 minutes to reduce breakage (there may be a lot of heated appliances, products and backcombing involved in the finished style).
• If opting for a non-permanent colour such as Naturtint Reflex, apply the shade you have already experimented with a few days before the wedding.
• Last but not least, remember to pack your Naturtint Shampoo and Nutrideep Multiplier to take with you on your honeymoon, to maintain the hair that you have spent months trying to perfect!
See more of Confetti’s health & beauty articles!