FREE shipping on orders over £59

Getting married in Mauritius

Written by    Last updated: June 6, 2006

White sands washed by clear, turquoise water, a warm breeze playing through the palms… what could be more romantic that a beachside wedding in Mauritius?

Why get married in Mauritius?

With her thickly wooded mountain peaks towering above a stunning coastline, Mauritius has an air of sophistication and a unique blend of French, Indian, Chinese and Creole cultures.

The island of Mauritius is approximately 855 kilometres off the east coast of Madagascar, Africa being the nearest continent with Mombassa some 1800 kilometres away.

What kind of wedding ceremony can I have in Mauritius?

Choose where your ceremony takes place from a range of beautiful settings, from under a palm tree in the garden of your hotel, on a jetty in the sea, on a boat floating over a coral reef, or in one of one of Mauritius’ lovely churches.

Is it wedding weather?

  Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Max temp (°F)* 86 84 84 82 79 76 75 75 77 80 83 85
Sunshine hours* 8 7 7 8 7 7 8 8 8 8 9 8
Rainfall (inches)* 8 8 8 5 4 3 2 2 1 2 2 5
*Average daily max temp (°F)
*Average daily sunshine hours
*Average monthly rainfall (inches)

What’s the flight time?

12 hours

What’s the time difference?

GMT +4

Do I need a visa to enter the country?

Not required.

What’s the wedding paperwork? 

  • Residency For a civil wedding you must be resident in Mauritius for 24 hours before the ceremony.
  • Proof of ID Original birth certificates and a valid passport with three free pages are required.
  • Divorced If either of you is divorced you’ll need to produce your Decree Absolute.
  • Widowed If you are widowed your deceased spouse’s death certificate and your previous marriage certificate must be produced.
  • Age restrictions If either of you is under 18, you’ll need to produce evidence of parental consent in the form of an Affidavit, stamped by a notary.
  • Name change If you have legally changed your name by Deed Poll, you’ll need to provide legal proof, stamped and signed by a solicitor. This also applies if a married woman has reverted back to her maiden name.

This article was written by

Page: 1 2Next >