Baby shower and new mum gift ideas
Written by Paula Jones Last updated: March 12, 2007
Gifts for baby
- Silver items, such as spoons, photo frames and rattles. You can include a gift certificate for the engraving to be added after the birth.
- Baby book to record every special moment – from awaiting the baby’s arrival to their first words – with a photograph or message.
- Handmade clothes, booties, and quilts. Either make yourself or order through professional knitting service to create an heirloom that can be handed down over generations.
- Personalised quilts, towels, blankets and teddy bears. Make or order a patchwork quilt or add personalised embroidery to items such as towels and blankets.
- Photography gift basket, filled with items such as picture frames, photo albums, and gift vouchers for printing digital prints.
- Clothes that could be sets or bodysuits or nightwear. As the mum‐to‐be will get loads of newborn outfits, you could pick something for a later stage, when the baby is a bit older.
- Accessories including hats, scratch mitts, shawls and baby shoes. Again think a few months ahead of the birth and the season appropriate for that time.
- Cuddly toys such as teddy bears, bunnies and puppies. Small toys should be washable and have no loose parts for safety.
- Activity toys like rattles, mobiles and play toys for the baby’s first year.
- Nappies delivered to the door, are a practical idea for a gift certificate that will be appreciated in the first months after birth.
- Bath time gift pack including a baby bath filled with toiletries like foam bath, massage oil, skin creams and talcum powder. Wrap it up in a clear cellophane wrapper and tie with a rubber duck.
Gifts for mum‐to‐be
- Hospital ready kit with luxury loungewear, soft slippers, massage oils and (if budget allows) packed in a stylish new overnight bag.
- Spa time either as a gift certificate for a day at a relaxing spa or a gift basket packed with goodies like bubble bath, pretty candles, face packs and massage oils.
- Night out at home with a gift pack with pre‐paid dvd rental and home delivered meal for two.
- Household help such as gift certificate for cleaning, gardening or shopping.
- Chic outfits and stylish clothes that are specially designed for the first few months after childbirth.
- Baby monitors for peace of mind. Choose from basic, digital, walkabout, travel and even a visual monitor where you can see as well as hear your baby wherever you are in the house.
Gifts for mum and baby
- Mum and baby activity gift certificate for classes such as baby massage or mother and baby yoga.
- DVD videos of mum and baby exercises or even just pictures of relaxing nature scenes with soothing music.
- Casting kits for mum’s pregnancy bump or the baby’s newborn hands and feet.
- Soothing music CDs that can be played during the long late-night feeds to help relax mum and baby.
- Portrait of mum and baby by a reputable photographer or an artist.