New Year’s Eve countdown
Written by Louise Holt Last updated: June 6, 2006
Make sure you see the New Year in without a hitch with our essential New Year’s Eve checklist…
One month beforehand
- Decide on a venue and theme (if you want one) for your party.
- Compose your guest list.
- Plan the menu if you’re making a dinner party.
- Send out your invitations.
- Check out our table decoration perfect planner and buy decorations and favours.
- Make arrangements for any items you’ll need to hire.
- Hire a DJ or band if you’d like one.
One to two weeks beforehand
- Finalise your guest count and chase up those who haven’t responded.
- Compile your shopping list and buy non-perishable items — don’t forget Champagne as this is New Year’s Eve after all.
- Check that you’ve got corkscrews and cameras and camcorders filled charged and full of film or tape.
- Order any special flowers, meats, seafood, or other ingredients you’ll need.
- Make as much food as possible in advance and freeze it.
- Make mix tapes or CDs.
Two to three days beforehand
- For house parties, clean the house and start to put up decorations.
- Do your food shopping, checking that you have everything you need for recipes and snacks.
One day beforehand
- Shop for last-minute items.
- Make sure all the decorations are up.
- If possible, arrange and set your table(s) and serving areas.
- Prepare as many recipes and ingredients as possible – chop vegetables you’ll cook as part of a recipe — and thaw frozen items.
On the day
- Prepare your foods and wash up as you go along.
- Make sure all foods and beverages to be served cold are well chilled.
- Put all the finishing touches on the meal and tables.
- Put out binbags.
- Set out snacks and nibbles, making sure perishable snacks are covered up until the last minute.
- Get your music system ready and lined up with suitable music.
- Switch on the radio or TV at two minutes to midnight so that everyone can hear Big Ben bring in the New Year!