What’s involved in renting a tent for your wedding reception?
A marquee can be a good option for large gatherings. If you decide to hire one, book it well in advance and remember you need to get it decorated, filled with table and chairs, have a dance floor laid and possibly organise bathroom/changing facilities too. Many firms will offer this along with the tent hire.
You may also need to hire portable toilets and portable kitchens. Remember that if you want to pitch a marquee in the middle of nowhere, then you’ll need water and electricity too, or, when the sun sets, you’ll be plunged into darkness and the loos won’t flush! If you plan a marquee reception in winter, don’t forget the portable heaters.
You may like to set up a marquee in your own garden or that of willing parents or a friend, but this can have its drawbacks. Ask yourself the following questions before choosing home as the ideal venue:
- Is it close enough to the place of worship or register office?
- Is there enough space to accommodate the required number of guests?
- Are lavatory and cloakroom facilities sufficient?
- Will caterers, or whoever else is doing the work, be able to function effectively in the kitchen?
- Is there space for a bar?
- Is there sufficient parking space?
- Is holding the reception at home going to dramatically increase the stress factor?