Brides want to look their best on their wedding day and having fabulous hair is a top priority. We take a look at 5 pre-wedding hair treatments to ensure you have Vogue worthy glossy locks for your wedding day!
Start your beautiful hair routine from the inside, out to ensure it’s strong and shiny with a diet rich in the following:
- Protein – Your hair is made of the stuff, so it is no surprise that if your diet is low in protein your hair will become dry and brittle. Tuck in to meat, fish, eggs, legumes and nuts to ensure you’ve had your quota!
- Omega 3 – Found in fish, seeds, nuts and avocado, this essential fatty acid helps lubricate the hair follicles, promoting a healthy scalp and hair growth.
- Zinc – Commonly taken by people that suffer from hair loss, zinc encourages cell growth. and can be found in red meats, poultry, pumpkin seeds, egg yolks and soy products.
- Iron – A diet low in iron can result in hair loss so make sure you get plenty in the form of meat, fish, tofu, pulses, beans, brown rice, nuts and seeds.
- Biotin – Biotin is a B vitamin that helps stimulates hair growth so make sure you pop cheese, yogurt, chicken and liver in your shopping basket.
- Vitamin A – This strong antioxidant helps to keep the scalp healthy which promotes healthy hair. Orange and yellow food are full of he stuff so stock up on carrots, peaches and sweet potatoes!
- Vitamin C – Another antioxidant, vitamin C also helps with the production of collagen which strengthens the hair and can be found in oranges, blackcurrants, blueberries, strawberries and broccoli to name a few.
- Vitamin E – Nuts are full of vitamin E which help protect your hair from the sun’s harmful rays, so pop these on your shopping list.
Book a Hair Trial
When: 3 – 5 months before the wedding
Once you have chosen your wedding dress book yourself in for an appointment to have a hair trial to ensure that you are a) happy with the stylist you have chosen and they understand the look your are trying to achieve and b) you have plenty of time to work out which style/colour will work best with your dress.
If possible, take along a photo of you in your wedding dress. It will help your hair stylist advise you on what hair style would look best. For example if the dress has beautiful back detailing, perhaps you want it to be up? If your dress has an asymmetric strap perhaps you want your hair swept to the opposite side?
Get a Trim
When: 1 week before the wedding
Have a trim one week before the big day to ensure you are rid of any nasty split ends. When hair is dry and brittle it is more likely to snap, so if you are trying to grow your hair, regular trims throughout the year before the wedding will also be beneficial.
Whilst we wouldn’t recommend experimenting with a radically different hair cut right before the wedding, if you do decided to go for the chop, do this just before your hair trial (3-5 months before). This allows you to trial the look with the new hair style and gives you time to grow it out a bit if you decide it’s not for you!
Colour Your Hair
When: 7 – 10 days before
If you regularly dye your hair have it done about 7-10 days before your wedding. If you are changing colour, start the transition a few months in advance to ensure it is the shade you want and then have a refresh 7 – 10 days before. Make sure you use coloured hair shampoo and conditions to keep your colour looking radiant.
Have a Deep Conditioning Treatment
When: 1 week before
By this point your hair should be looking super glossy from all the fabulous food you’ve been eating, your trim and colour, but to give it that final boost, treat yourself to a deep conditioning treatment.
Whether you choose to treat yourself to a professional treatment in a salon or do it yourself at home (have a pamper night with your bridesmaids!) a conditioning treatment will help you feel a million dollars!