You don’t want to spend a small fortune jetting around the world ‐ so what about staying closer to home and enjoying your honeymoon in the UK?
Why stay at home?
The main pro is, of course, expense. Travel costs can make up a large part of a honeymoon budget, especially if you’re jetting off on a long haul flight. Honeymooning in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland obviously cuts these costs significantly, even if you decide to fly to your destination. And with lower travel costs, you can spend the majority of your budget on accommodation, dining and other treats.
A honeymoon abroad in sunnier climes also isn’t the thing for everyone. If you enjoy walking, exploring and want a cultural break, you’re likely to find just what you’re looking for in the UK. And, of course, the British coast is wonderful in the summer, even if temperatures don’t reach those of a tropical island.
Another benefit of staying in the UK is convenience. Passports aren’t necessary and, unless you choose to fly, you really can be your own boss in terms of time.
Finally, you may have practical reasons for deciding to stay closer to home. Perhaps you’re taking young children away with you, or you only have a four‐day break and don’t want to spend half of it travelling.
Top UK honeymoon ideas:
- A week in a luxurious Scottish castle or country hotel
- A city break in London or Edinburgh
- Walking or cycling in the Yorkshire Dales or Lake District, staying in cosy inns as you travel
- A week in a holiday cottage or boutique hotel in Cornwall
- A romantic hotel break on the Pembrokeshire coast
- A gourmet week enjoying restaurants and wine in your chosen area