We’d like to wish you a very happy pancake day! We fell head over heels for our Indie Couple wedding cake topper when our design team revealed it to us and then fell even more in love with it after we saw it on a stack of delicious pancakes! In fact, we loved this idea so much that we wanted to share it with you!
We used two of our cake toppers to test out this idea and we think they both work and look adorable. But popping one of our gorgeous, exclusively-designed cake toppers on a stack of piping hot pancakes isn’t just for Shrove Tuesday! Imagine this: it’s your one year wedding anniversary and you surprise your spouse with a stack of fresh pancakes decorated with the cake topper from your wedding cake!
How sweet and swoon-worthy is that?! After you’ve tied the knot and cut the cake, keep hold of your cake topper! Put it in a safe spot until your first anniversary and use it to adorn a delicious stack of pancakes! Your better half will love it and we won’t tell you saw it on Confetti.co.uk so you can take all the credit!
Of course, without a killer recipe for pancakes, your cake topper won’t have any place to perch! So I’m going to share my very own recipe for authentic, fluffy American-style pancakes with you:
Yield: 4 to 6 pancakes
Scratch Made Fluffy American Pancakes
For the pancakes
1 medium, free range egg
1 cup flour*
1 cup whole (blue) milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
*I tend to use bread flour, but you can use whichever flour you’ve got on hand. If you use self-raising flour, omit the baking powder.
- Combine the flour and baking powder (if using) in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg, milk and sunflower oil together in a separate spouted pitcher.
- Pour the egg mixture over the dry ingredients and combine with a wooden spoon. The mix will be thick and lumpy.
- Heat a pan until medium-hot. Add a slice of butter and ladle in a scoop of pancake batter.
- Let the pancake cook undisturbed until 90% of the surface is covered in bubbles.
- Flip over gently and allow to continue cooking. Do not press the pancake down with a spatula during cooking!
- For perfect fluffy pancakes, cook them for about 1 minute on each side.
- Serve in a stack topped with your cake topper and your favourite syrup or a sprinkle of icing sugar or drizzle of honey.