How does it feel to be responsible for the most important day of a woman’s life? Tamyn Kirby was one of the UK’s leading wedding planners, and as such, has seen it all. Here she gives Confetti a glimpse at some of the most heart‐warming stories along with some invaluable hints and tips for brides to be.
“One of my brides even had her wedding train reversed over by her wedding car. Just before her church entrance, there she was with a dirty black tyre mark across the back of her dress.”
Top Wedding Dress Tips from Tamryn Kirby
- Have a final fitting at least a month in advance to iron out any issues and, during it, make sure you practise all the moves you will make on the day. Stand, walk, sit, kneel and throw an imaginary bouquet.
- Everyone wants to look beautiful, but it’s worth being a little bit practical as well. I had to feel for the bride who decided on a medieval‐style dress with huge draping sleeves. They dragged along the floor all day and got coated in food. Not a good look.
- If you’re having a church wedding, remember to be reserved. Don’t end up like the bride who chose a sleek halterneck dress scooped down to the small of her back and was asked by the vicar to cover up during the service. If you want to go sexy, then opt for a pretty wrap or faux fur stole to cover up with during the church service.That way, when you take it off at the reception, you’ll have a bigger impact.
- A duvet cover is the best thing to keep your dress in – it’s big enough to avoid the dress becoming creased at the bottom, and cotton is breathable so your dress will stay super‐fresh, without any lingering odour of plastic.
- If you’ve got an impressive train on your dress, don’t forget to speak to your dress supplier to make sure you’ve got a ‘loop’ sewn in – this means you can tie your train up in the evening so that you can hit the dancefloor with no worries about tripping or slipping.
- Lacing on the back of a dress can take a while to do, and it can take a bit of practice to get right. It’s worth having a trial run with whoever is going to be strapping you in on the day.
Search our Suppliers Directory to find your perfect Wedding Dress!