Before you make your final decision, here’s a quick checklist to make sure you get the right reading for your wedding ceremony
- Does the reading meet with the approval from your minister/officiant?
- Is the text really about marriage and not just about falling in love?
- If you are having a civil ceremony, is your text approved as having no religious content?
- Will it fit in with the rest of the order of service? Is it a good foil for any other readings/prayers you’ve chosen?
- Is it a self‐contained piece that needs no further explanation?
- Is it free of any material that might offend guests?
- Is it the right length? A reading that’s too short may easily get drowned out by a coughing fit or baby crying, while a text that’s too long may over‐balance your whole ceremony.
- Will your chosen reader be able to handle the words?
Shop for wedding speech and reading guides now