Your food and drink are likely to be where you spend the majority of your wedding budget, so it pays to make sure you get it right. Here are 20 quick questions to ask your caterer to ensure you get the best food, drink and service you could hope for.
About the Food
- Do you offer menu tastings so we can try your food before booking?
- Will you be willing to prepare alternative meals for guests with special dietary requirements?
- Would you be willing to make a family recipe we can provide you with?
- Where will the food be prepared?
- If you prepare the food on-site, will you need to bring in your own equipment, and is there an additional fee for this?
- Where do you source your food from – for instance is it organic, locally grown, fresh food?
- How will you arrange the buffet – on large platters for instance, and do you have any photos of buffets you have arranged for other similar weddings?
About the Drinks
- Are you licensed to serve alcohol?
- Is there a drinks and wine list to choose from?
- If we are permitted to bring our own wine, do you charge a corkage fee?
About the Staff
- Do you offer any help with timings for the wedding breakfast, for instance when to ask guests to be seated if a hot starter is to be served or do you know if there is a banqueting manager at the venue who will manage this? If not, how do you suggest this is managed?
- Will the same staff member I plan the wedding with be there on the day itself to oversee everything unfolds as it should?
- Would your staff be available to decorate the tables in advance with our chosen centrepieces, favours, place cards and table confetti, and will you provide printed menus?
- How many waiting staff would you recommend for the size of our wedding and will you provide these staff?
About the Booking
- What do your charges include, for instance, do you charge extra for table linens?
- Are you able to provide tables, chairs, plates, table linens, silverware, salt-and-pepper shakers, etc.?
- If these extras are hired, do you make all those arrangements, and if so, are they included in the price quoted?
- Do you have a license to prove you have met Food Standards Agency regulations?
- Do you have public liability insurance?
- Are you able to provide us with references from previous customers?
Browse wedding caterers in your area.