Dissolution of a civil partnership

In the unhappy event things don’t work out quite as planned…

If you decide that your civil partnership is not working out then you can choose to dissolve it, much like a divorce ‐ this is called dissolution. In order to be able to get a dissolution you must have been in a civil partnership for over a year.


You would need to complete a form called a ‘petition’, giving the reasons why you are applying, to show your civil partnership is definitely over or that it has ‘irretrievably broken down’.

If there are children involved then a further form, called a ‘statement of arrangements’ will need to be completed. This should detail the living arrangements you have made for the children once the dissolution is final.

Find Wedding Ideas, Inspiration, Venues and Services

mail icon

Subscribe to our Network

Stay connected with our network and get all the best Wedding Planning, Inspiration and Competitions directly into your inbox.