Summer is the perfect season to get married – the lovely weather (or a good chance of), the long days, lush greenery and vivid colours everywhere, and of course – the height of wedding season. The summer brides are lucky to have a huge choice of seasonal flowers to choose from, in every hue imaginable, and at a lower seasonal cost too! Nicola from Flowers by Eve tells us all about what to choose for your summer wedding.
Summer is here and as we all know it’s the most popular time to of year to get married. It is also a fantastic time of year in the flower market with so many flowers and colours to choose from.
Roses are always popular during the summer months and are often considered the summer wedding flower. They come in all shades of pinks, reds, oranges, yellows, lilacs and of course white and creams. My personal favourite is the beautiful Norma Jean Rose – the perfect wedding rose with its large ivory full blooms and gorgeous perfume. It can stand on its own or mix it with blousy open peonies or fragrant sweet peas for the perfect wedding bouquet.
Summer brides should not stop at roses when thinking about their wedding flowers. Conjure up the image of the perfect English country garden dominated by shades of pinks, mauves and blues and you have the perfect palette for your summer wedding. Think of:
- Peonies in the palest pink, coral, hot pink. Mixed with roses they are the perfect summer flower but the season is short and limited to May and June.
- Sweet peas, sweet smelling and delicate in look, perfect in a bouquet or as a flower girl’s posy.
- Agapanthus with their delicate petals in blue and white.
- Sweet Williams, the perfect English country garden flowers.
- Lupins, delphinium and foxgloves standing tall and proud, perfect in pedestals and tall arrangements.
But summer wedding bouquets are not just about pastels and soft shades. With the sun beaming and the sky bright blue, bright colours are perfect for a summer wedding. Splash the colour about with either:
- Bright blue cornflowers
- Bright pink, orange and red gerberas
- Sunshine filled yellow sunflowers
- Bright pink and purple hydrangeas
And most importantly don’t forget the foliage! Summer is a great time for foliage from lime green alchemilia mollis and gelder rose, to gorgeous scented flowering mint and rosemary to silvery soft sage and scenecio there is an abundance of interesting foliage. Mixed with summer blooms they are perfect for the ever-popular English country garden and vintage themed weddings.
Flowers by Eve provide beautiful floral designs for weddings and events in London and Surrey. If you would like to know more about Flowers by Eve or would like to book a free consultation please contact Nicola.
There is lots of great advice about wedding flowers on Confetti! Check out our suppliers of Wedding Flowers.