Surf in for an Australian wedding |

Getting Married in Australia

Stunning scenery, beautiful coastlines, superb cuisine and cosmopolitan cities make Australia an ideal wedding abroad destination. From their crystalline beaches to the captivating aboriginal culture, you’ll find something to delight and inspire you Down Under. If you’re interested in getting married in Australia, here’s everything you need to know:

Get married barefoot on an Australian beach |
Image courtesy of Events of MWD.

Why get married in Australia?

Australia is a vast and timeless land, offering stunning and contrasting natural beauty ‐‐ from the shimmering plains of the outback, to the sparkling coastlines of east. You can see wildlife from cuddly koalas and kangaroos, to crocodiles and the amazing marine life that lives off the Great Barrier Reef. Add to this the superb accommodation and dining options found in its cosmopolitan cities, and Australia makes for the perfect wedding and honeymoon destination. Kick your shoes off and go barefoot on the beach with the love of your life as you swap your vows and promise to spend forever together.


What kind of wedding ceremony can I have in Australia?

Since marriages do not have to be conducted in a church or registrar’s office, Australia is your oyster. Have your ceremony overlooking the iconic Sydney Opera House or say your ‘I do’s on the deck of a stunning yacht like Hollywood royalty or at sunset on a beach or in one of the country’s many tropical gardens. Of course, you could stick with the tradition and wed your beloved in an Australian church or typical wedding venue.

Aboriginal ceremonies in Australia |
Image courtesy of Tropical Sky

Is it wedding weather?

Max temp (°F)*797977726763626468727477
Sunshine hours*776665667777
Rainfall (inches)*434564523334
*Average daily max temp (°F)
*Average daily sunshine hours
*Average monthly rainfall (inches)

What’s the flight time?

19.5 hours

What’s the time difference?

GMT +10

Wedding overlooking the Sydney Opera House |
Image courtesy of Just Get Married in Australia

Do I need a visa to enter the country?

Yes. Tourist visas must be obtained from the Australian High Commission before travel. These are valid for three months. Visit the Embassy’s website for more information.

What wedding paperwork will I need?

  • Residency
    There is no residential qualification required so if all your documents are in order you can effectively marry as soon as you step off the plane.
  • Proof of status
    A Notice of Intended Marriage should be obtained from the Australian High Commission before travelling.
  • Proof of ID
    You need to show valid 10‐year passports and original birth certificates or original adoption certificates.
  • Divorced
    If you are divorced, your Decree Absolute with court stamp is required.
  • Widowed
    If you are widowed you will be required to produce the death certificate of your former spouse as well as your previous marriage certificate.
  • Age restrictions
    To marry in Australia you must be 18 years of age or over.
  • Name change
    If your name has been changed by deed poll you will need legal proof, stamped and signed by a solicitor. This also applies if a married woman has reverted back to her maiden name.
Surf in for an Australian wedding |
Image courtesy of Tropical Sky

How do I obtain a marriage licence?

Weddings are conducted Monday to Friday excluding public holidays. You will need to obtain a Notice of Intended Marriage from the Australian High Commission. This can be downloaded online. The document must be signed in the presence of and witnessed by:

  • an Australian registered barrister or solicitor, or
  • an Australian registered, legally qualified medical practitioner, or
  • an Australian authorised celebrant, or
  • an Australian diplomatic officer or an Australian consular officer

Be sure to take your passport or some other form of identification with you and a fee of the sterling equivalent of AUS$20, which is the amount charged for each signature witnessed. Once witnessed, the notice must be sent direct to the marriage celebrant, at least one month and a day prior to the date of the proposed wedding, but not more than six months.


Bride and groom happy in Australia |
Image courtesy of Tropical Sky

Where can I find further information?

A list of authorised marriage celebrants can be obtained from the Australian attorney general’s department website:

Australian High Commission
Australia House
London WC2
Tel: 020‐7379 4334

Australia Tourism

Find Wedding Ideas, Inspiration, Venues and Services

mail icon

Subscribe to our Network

Stay connected with our network and get all the best Wedding Planning, Inspiration and Competitions directly into your inbox.