Getting married in Mexico

Get married on an idyllic Caribbean beach, and follow your wedding with a romantic honeymoon amidst ancient Mayan ruins…

Why get married in Mexico?

Mexico is a magical mix of colour, energy and history. Huge temples, colonial churches and pyramids provide a living reminder of past mighty civilisations that flourished here over 2000 years ago. For although Mexico is part of the North American continent, its tradition belongs more to Central and South America.


Modern Mexico, too, is a place of fun and excitement. Whether you soak up the sun on Mexico’s Caribbean beaches or explore the ancient sites, you will enjoy an excellent standard of hotels, varied shopping and, best of all, the warmth and friendliness of the Mexicans themselves.

What kind of wedding ceremony can I have in Mexico?

In Mexico only civil marriages are recognised as legal. You may have a religious ceremony but it will have no legal implications. A civil wedding is fully valid for legal purposes worldwide but a religious wedding without a civil ceremony is not.

Is it wedding weather?

Max temp (°F)*889295979795939393918888
Sunshine hours*556686665555
Rainfall (inches)111113567411
*Average daily max temp (°F)
*Average daily sunshine hours
*Average monthly rainfall (inches)

What’s the flight time?

11.5 hours

What’s the time difference?

GMT ‐6

Do I need a visa to enter the country?

No. UK visitors are permitted to stay in the country for 180 days without a visa.

What’s the wedding paperwork?

NB: All documents marked * in this section have to be translated into Spanish by a legal translator and then certified by the Legalisation Department at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London (for addresses, see Where can I find further Information?).

  • Residency No Mexican residential requirements are applicable but you should allow a few days for legal checks.
  • Medical checks You must have a blood test done in Mexico and the Civil Registers Office can recommend a doctor or clinic.
  • Proof of ID Your original birth certificates*, a valid 10‐year passport and an entry permit will all be required.
  • Proof of status For marriages to take place in Mexico you must both attend your local Register Office in the UK (a seven‐day residency in the district is required) and give “notice of marriage”. After twenty‐one days a “certificate of non impediment”* will be issued, valid for three months.
  • Divorced A divorced person cannot marry in Mexico until one year after the divorce has been finalised (this may vary in different areas and proof of divorce may be enough). You must provide your Decree Absolute* with court stamp.
  • Widowed If you are widowed, you must produce the death certificate* of your former spouse.
  • Age restrictions Minors under 18 cannot marry without written and notarised permission from a parent or legal guardian.
  • Name change If your name has been changed by Deed Poll* you must provide the legal proof stamped and signed by a solicitor. This also applies if a married woman has reverted back to her maiden name.

How do I obtain a marriage licence?

As with the US, legal requirements in Mexico vary from state to state so it is essential if you are planning your Mexican wedding yourselves that you contact the Mexican Consulate for accurate information (for address, see Where can I find further information).

Marriages are performed at the Oficina del Registro Civil (Civil Registers Office) for a fee, which can range from $100 to $250 in resort areas. Every city and town has an office. Most people in this office do not speak English, which is where a wedding co‐ordinator comes in handy if you don’t speak Spanish. The ceremony can be performed elsewhere, but you will need to check with the office for information and extra fees.

Note that the ceremony will be conducted in Spanish in the presence of an interpreter, and the marriage certificate will be in Spanish.

Where can I find further information?

Mexican Embassy
42 Hertford Street
Tel: 020‐7499 8586

Mexican Consulate
8 Halkin Street
Tel: 020‐7235 6393
Fax: 020‐7235‐5480

The Legalisation Department
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Old Admiralty Building, Whitehall
London SW1A 2LG
Tel. 020 7008 1111

Mexico Tourism


confetti makes reasonable efforts to obtain data from reliable sources and to keep the contents reasonably accurate. However, specifications and requirements may change and confetti cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the content or information. We strongly advise you to consult other sources of information including the embassies or consulates of the countries in question or local lawyers.

Find Wedding Ideas, Inspiration, Venues and Services

mail icon

Subscribe to our Network

Stay connected with our network and get all the best Wedding Planning, Inspiration and Competitions directly into your inbox.