Getting married in Sri Lanka

For a wedding amid stunning beaches, beautiful hill‐top tea plantations, ancient cities and some of the friendliest people on earth.

Why get married in Sri Lanka?

Sri Lanka, the tropical island at the toe of India, has a huge amount to offer: mystical ancient cities, thick jungles, tea plantations and mile upon mile of palm fringed sandy beaches. It is one of the most beautiful and scenically interesting islands in the world, and rapid post‐Tsunami reconstruction means that its enchanting and hospitable people are welcoming people back once more.


What kind of wedding ceremony can I have in Sri Lanka?

You can choose from a traditional religious Sri Lankan ceremony with dancers and a traditional band, and process from your ceremony on the back of an elephant or bullock cart. Alternatively you may prefer to marry on a moonlit beach or in the heat of the day in your hotel garden.

Is it wedding weather?

Max temp (°F)*868788888785858585858585
Sunshine hours*898775666768
Rainfall (inches)*336915954614126
*Average daily max temp (°F)
*Average daily sunshine hours
*Average monthly rainfall (inches)

What’s the flight time?

11 hours

What’s the time difference?

GMT +6

Do I need a visa to enter the country?

Not required.

What’s the wedding paperwork?

  • Residency You will need to be resident in Sri Lanka at least 4 days before the wedding.
  • Proof of ID You will need to produce your original birth certificate and a passport, valid for at least six months from date of entry.
  • Proof of status You must obtain an affidavit signed by a solicitor, stating that neither of you has been previously married and that there is no legal objection to the marriage.
  • Divorced If either of you is divorced you must produce your decree.
  • Widowed If either of you has been widowed you must produce the death certificate of the deceased spouse.
  • Age restrictions The minimum age to marry without parental consent is 18 years old. If you are younger then you must obtain evidence of parental consent in the form of a sworn affidavit.
  • Name change I f your name has been changed by Deed Poll, you must provide legal proof, stamped and signed by a solicitor. This also applies if you are a divorced woman who has reverted back to her maiden name.

How do I obtain a marriage licence?

You should take the originals of all the necessary documents to the Civil Status Officer in the area where you wish to marry. You will also need to provide your full names and addresses, those of your parents and details of your professions.

If you are using a wedding organiser they must have photocopies of all the documents at least three weeks prior to your date of travel. You are advised to get the marriage certificate authenticated at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (see Where can I find further information?).

Where can I find further information?

Consular Division
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
No: 97A
Galle Road
Colombo 3
Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka Tourist Board
Clareville House 26‐27
Oxendon Street
London NW1 4EL
Tel: 020 7930 2627

Sri Lanka High Commission
13 Hyde Park Gardens
London W2 2LU
Tel: 020‐7262 1841
Fax: 020‐7262 7970


confetti makes reasonable efforts to obtain data from reliable sources and to keep the contents reasonably accurate. However, specifications and requirements may change and confetti cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the content or information. We strongly advise you to consult other sources of information including the embassies or consulates of the countries in question or local lawyers.

Find Wedding Ideas, Inspiration, Venues and Services

mail icon

Subscribe to our Network

Stay connected with our network and get all the best Wedding Planning, Inspiration and Competitions directly into your inbox.