Stuck when it comes to wedding card messages? From wedding wishes to funny comments, here’s what to write in a wedding card
We’ve all been there – you’re staring into a blank card, with all the wedding card messages in the world just out of reach, unsure what to write. Even if you’ve known the couple for years and years, what to write in a wedding card can prove a challenge.
It’s easy enough to find the perfect wedding gift for couples, but the card can prove tricky.
There are no rules when it comes to what to write in a wedding card, but here is some inspiration to help you craft the perfect message for your pals.
Wedding Cards: What You Need to Know
We’ll start with the basics – you should always give a wedding card to the happy couple. Even if you aren’t buying a gift, a card is expected to show your appreciation for your invitation, or even just to share your very best wedding wishes with the newlyweds.
Traditional wedding etiquette dictates that you should bring your wedding card to the actual wedding, or post it to the couple ahead of the big day. Most brides and grooms have post-boxes at their weddings for guests to deposit cards and well-wishes into.
Read more: 52 gorgeous gift ideas for engaged couples
Wedding Card Message for a Friend
If it’s your friend who is tying the knot, here are some examples of wedding wishes you can write to them and their partner. Remember your friend may keep this card forever so don’t just rely on flippant in-jokes.
- ‘Wishing you both a lifetime of happiness together – you deserve it!’
- ‘I couldn’t think of a better couple than you two – congratulations!’
- ‘Thank you for inviting me to share your special day – wishing you a lifetime of loveliness together.’
- ‘I’m so lucky to have two such great friends – and even luckier that they’re married to each other! Congratulations on your big day.’
- ‘We’ve celebrated so much over the years, but nothing will top this. Congratulations on your wedding day.’
- ‘I hope you bring as much happiness to each other as you’ve done to me over the years.’
- ‘Here’s to love, laughter and happily ever after!’
- ‘Wishing you both a long and happy life together – you are the perfect couple.’
Wedding Card Messages for a Sibling
It’s a special day when a sibling gets married – make sure you write a wedding card message that suits the occasion!
- ‘I always wanted a brother/sister – and now I have a brand new one! Congratulations.’
- ‘Eek, you’re officially a [LAST NAME] – are you ready for this?’
- ‘You’ve been my best friend forever and I’m so happy to see you marry your soulmate.’
- ‘You’ve found someone else to boss around – and I couldn’t be more thrilled. Congratulations (and good luck!)’
- ‘Thank you for making my brother/sister so happy – we’re so thrilled to welcome you to the family.’
Read more: The best wedding guest dresses
Wedding Card Message for a Family Member
If a member of your family is saying ‘I do’, you can be quite personal with your message. Here are some examples of wedding wishes for a family member to inspire you.
- ‘Our family has grown by one and we couldn’t be more excited! Congratulations!’
- ‘Welcome to the family – we hope you know what you’re letting yourself in for!’
- ‘This is a wonderful day for our family – thank you for inviting us to celebrate together.’
- ‘We’re thrilled to call you both family – here’s to a happy lifetime together.’
- ‘Congratulations on your marriage, we love both of you so much.’
‘You’ve been part of our lives for so long, but now you’re part of the family too. Welcome and congratulations!’
Wedding Card Messages for a Son or Daughter
Nothing is more emotional than seeing a son or a daughter get married to the love of your life. You’re going to feel happiness, pride and maybe even a bit of sadness. It can be hard to get down everything you’re feeling on paper, but here are a few suggestions.
- ‘We’re not losing a son/daughter – we’re gaining one. Welcome to the family.’
- ‘From the moment we saw the two of you together, we knew it was perfect. Congratulations.’
- ‘Wishing the two of you a lifetime of happiness together. We love you both.’
- ‘Words can’t describe how we feel on this day. You deserve a lifetime of happiness and wonderful moments together.’
Read more: Our favourite marriage quotes
Wedding Card Messages for a Parent
A parent remarrying can be a tricky situation, but however you feel about the new union, it’s important to show your support to your parent and express your joy that they’ve found happiness.
- ‘Thank you for making my mum/dad so happy – congratulations on your wedding day.’
- ‘So excited that you’re officially a part of the family! Congratulations!’
- ‘Thank you so much for all you have both done for me – I’m thrilled to see you so happy.’
- ‘Wishing you all the happiness in the world – you deserve it.’
Generic Wedding Card Messages
Sometimes you don’t need such a specific wedding card message – here are some wedding card messages to suit all occasions and couples.
Here are some inspiring love quotes to help you along!
Funny Wedding Wishes
- ‘Thanks for the free food and drink – and for inviting us to celebrate your marriage of course!’
- ‘May your married life be more X-rated than PG!’
- ‘I never thought I’d see the day – but here it is! Congratulations!’
- ‘Who knew you’d find someone you love more than me, but I guess it’s official now.’
Religious Wedding Wishes
- ‘Love is patient. Love is kind… Love never fails. – 1 Corinthians 13:4-13’
- ‘May God bless you both.’
- ‘May God bless you with a long and happy life together.’
- ‘May you both be blessed.’
Formal Wedding Wishes
- ‘Congratulations on your wedding day.’
- ‘Wishing you both all the best.’
- ‘Thank you for inviting us to share your special day.’
Remember, there’s no right or wrong rule when it comes to what you write in a wedding card, and if you’ve got a fabulous personalised wedding gift for the happy couple they’re going to be delighted – even if you just write ‘congrats!’