If you’re stuck for ideas, here are some lines from real grooms’ speeches that you may want to ‘borrow’
- I am overwhelmed by how many of you came today, and I want you to know how much my wife and I appreciate you all being here to share this day with us. As for the gifts, you really are a generous bunch.
- The trouble with weddings, or so I’ve been told, is that you never have the time to say how much you appreciate seeing everyone. So, I’m going to speak for both of us when I say how much I appreciate you all taking the time to be here today. And thank you so much for your generous presents. We will be circulating later and hope to have the chance to talk to all of you.
- When I saw Ken looking so proud as he walked down the aisle with Sarah, I realised how much the day means to both Angela and him. Sarah is their daughter, and this is the moment they’ve been looking forward to ever since she was a little girl. I hope that they will be as happy to have me as their own son‐in‐law as I am to have them as my parents‐in‐law. I just want to reassure them that I love Sarah and will do everything in my power to make her as happy for the rest of her life as I know she is today.
- Mum’s a bit miffed/upset/annoyed as she wanted to give me away but had to wear a hat instead! My mum and dad have been great, and I’d like to thank them for all the support they have given me over the years and for their kindness towards Sarah. I know that she really loves having you as her new in‐laws.
- When I proposed to Sarah, I did so in the knowledge that, not only do I love her, but also that marriage can be the most wonderful thing in the world. I know that because my parents have been married for 30 years and are still in love. I hope that Sarah and I can be as happy as the two of you. You really are the best parents anyone could ever have, and I love you.
To the bride
- Sarah, you know that I love you, and I hope that by marrying you today, in front of everyone we care about, you will see just how much you mean to me. You are my sunshine, and without you the world would be a gloomy place. I am so proud to be your husband, and I want us to grow old and grey together. We have so many plans for our future but, whatever happens, I know that we will be together for ever.
- Sarah, or as I should now say, Mrs Smith, I couldn’t believe my luck when you first agreed to go out with me. Two years later, when you said that you would marry me, I knew I was a really lucky bloke. Now that you are my wife, I’ve got everything I ever wanted, and I’m looking forward to spending the rest of my life with you.